I just made available on the Downloads page (sign up using the drop-down list in the sidebar) “Top Ten Legal Tips for Independent Contractors,” a document that describes how independent contractors can avoid exposing themselves to unnecessary legal risks.
Here are the titles of the ten tips, which are discussed in greater detail in the document:
- Choose the right type of legal entity for your business
- If you choose a corporation or LLC, comply with applicable formalities
- Buy the right types and amounts of insurance
- Identify and protect your intellectual property
- Use your form of client agreement whenever possible
- Be careful when assigning or waiving intellectual property rights
- Be careful when collaborating or subcontracting
- Be careful with nondisclosure / confidentiality agreements
- Avoid oral agreements whenever possible
- Understand what distinguishes independent contractors from employees
For more information about distinguishing independent contractors from employees (tip 10), please see Avoiding the “Independent Contractor” Trap.
This blog does not provide legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney directly.